Hacktoberfest 2021 is almost upon us. High time to consider what projects we list, and what community projects we intend to work on ourselves!
What is Hacktoberfest?
Hacktoberfest is an annually recurring celebration with the goal of making positive contributions to the open-source community. Hosted by DigitalOcean for the 8th year in a row, last year the event counted 169,886 participants, from 135 different countries, and 116,361 participating repositories.
During the celebration (Oct 1 - Oct 31), participants who create four valid pull requests will get to chose from being rewarded with either an exclusive Hacktoberfest t-shirt. PRs to public repositories on GitHub that opted-in for Hacktoberfest, as long as they’re not considered spam or violation of the project’s Code of Conduct, count towards that goal.
How do I participate?
First, you need to sign up on the official event page (select "start hacking"). Once that’s done, you’ll have the entire month of October to create the four pull requests needed.
If you’re unsure about where to contribute, just search on GitHub for all issues labeled hacktoberfest.
Contributing to k6
As strong open-source proponents we also want to be part of the fun! All contributors who create a valid pull request in these k6 repos during this period will be eligible for a neat swag pack. Supply is limited and will be sent out on a first-come, first-served basis.
To help you get started, we’ve prepared a list of issues that we believe might be suitable:
- Fix snake_case to camelCase in argline for csv and influxdb outputs #2137 k6
- Document config.json #325 k6-docs
- Show how the Scenarios feature affects the k6 console output #329 k6-docs
- Document --quiet option #315 k6-docs
- Pending Spanish translations #404k6-docs
- Create a k6 extension! Check out this tutorial to learn more about how xk6 works and how to create your own extension. And lastly add your extension to this list so we can help promote or provide feedback.
If you want to participate this year, say “Hi” in the #contributors Slack channel, and we will help you get started.